Effective Date: August 21, 2023
The National Center for Policing Innovation (“NCPI”, “we”, “us”, or “our”) respects your privacy and is committed to maintaining it through adherence to this Privacy Statement (this “Statement”). NCPI has developed this Statement to describe how we may collect information about you on our website at www.citassist.org, and any mobile versions and mobile applications thereof (collectively, the “Site”), how we use information, and how and under what circumstances we share that information.
When you submit information to us or through the Site, you consent to the collection and processing of your information as described in this Privacy Statement. Please read this Statement carefully to understand our policies and practices regarding your information and how we will treat it. If you do not agree with any part of this Statement, please do not use our Site.
We may change this Privacy Statement from time to time. The “Effective Date” legend at the top of the page indicates when this Privacy Statement was last revised. Any changes will become effective when we post the revised Privacy Statement on the Site. Your continued use of the Site following these changes means that you accept the revised Privacy Statement. If we significantly change how we handle your Personal Information (defined below), we may provide more prominent notice or obtain your consent as required by law. If you do not wish to accept the changes, you should cease using the Site.
1. Children Under the Age of 13
The Site is not intended for or targeted to children under the age of 13. NCPI will never knowingly solicit or collect personally identifiable information from a child under the age of 13 through the Site without verifiable parental consent. If we discover that a child under the age of 13 has submitted personally identifiable information without verifiable parental consent, we will delete that information.
2. Information We Collect
NCPI collects personal information about you when you voluntarily request information from NCPI, supply information through the Site, or otherwise provide information in connection with use of our Site including:
- Information by which you may be personally identified, such as your name, postal and e-mail addresses, phone number, organizational affiliation, title, role, or position, billing and payment card information, course enrollment and completion history, and any other identifiable information that you choose to submit to us (“Personal Information”).
- Information about your Internet connection, IP address, the equipment and browser you use to access our Site, usage details, the domain from which you link to the site, traffic data, and information collected through cookies (“Usage Data”).
3. Where We Receive Personal Information
We collect Personal Information directly from you when you submit the “Contact” form on the Site, e-mail us or respond to our e-mails, sign up for our mailing list, or connect or link to the Site via social networking sites, or otherwise share your Personal Information with us in connection with our Site.
We also collect Usage Data automatically as you navigate through and use our Site for purposes such as determining which parts of our website users access most frequently and tracking user engagement. This Usage Data helps us determine which parts of our website are most beneficial for users, and how we can continually create a better overall experience for you. We use the Usage Data that we collect to operate, improve and personalize the Site, to provide customer service, and to detect, prevent and mitigate fraudulent or illegal activities.
4. How We Use Information
NCPI collects and processes your personal data in connection with its business as a provider of law enforcement education services and to pursue our related legitimate interests and rights, including promotion and marketing of our services. You agree that we may use your Personal Information as follows:
- to provide you with services or information that you request from us and in order to fulfill our contractual obligations toward you;
- to notify you about news and opportunities that may be of interest to you;
- for security and to detect fraud or illegal activities;
- to detect, prevent, mitigate or investigate activity we think may be potentially illegal, unlawful or harmful;
- for archival and backup purposes in connection with the provision of the Site;
- to enable us to comply with applicable legal and regulatory requirements, including national security or law enforcement requirements, or to comply with legal process served on us;
- to protect our legal rights or property or other users;
- to better understand how you access and use the Site, for the purposes of trying to improve the Site, diagnose problems, and administer our Site;
- to operate, improve and personalize the Site, to provide customer service;
- for any other purpose for which you provide your Personal Information;
- in any other way we may describe when you provide the information; and
- for any other purpose with your consent.
5. Disclosing Your Information to Third Parties
Any information we gather, whether voluntarily provided by you or automatically collected, may be used for our internal business purposes and disclosed to third parties, as stated below.
- Employees. We may disclose your Personal Information to our employees who need to know the Personal Information to fulfill any of the purposes outlined above.
- Agents and Service Providers. We may share Personal Information with other trusted companies or people to perform functions for which we engage them. Examples include maintaining our Site, sending e-mail, coordinating on-site trainings with our partner agencies, managing and updating customer lists, processing transactions and payments, providing other marketing and promotional assistance, and providing other services related to the operation of our business. NCPI does not sell any Personal Information to third parties and does not provide any information obtained through the Site to third parties for direct marketing purposes not directly supervised or authorized by NCPI.
- Legal Compliance and Protection. Notwithstanding any other statements or representations in this Statement or elsewhere on our Site, we reserve the right to disclose any information in our possession if we are required to do so by law or we believe, in good faith, that such a disclosure is necessary to comply with the law, court order or other government or law enforcement agency, defend or enforce our rights or property, prevent financial loss or physical harm, or to respond to an emergency situation or protect the rights, property or safety of others.
- Corporate Transactions. We may share and/or transfer your Personal Information to NCPI affiliates. NCPI also reserves the right to share and/or transfer Personal Information to a purchaser or successor entity in the event of a sale or other corporate transaction involving some or all of our business or assets.
- With Your Consent. We may share your Personal Information with your consent or at your direction.
If you would like to participate in NCPI’s services, provision of your Personal Information is necessary to enter into the contract with NCPI. If you choose not to provide Personal Information, NCPI may not be able to provide services to you. For any other casual browsers, provision of your Personal Information is purely voluntary. You may use the NCPI website without disclosing Personal Information, and we will not obtain such information about you unless you choose to submit it to us. Submission of Personal Information through this Site authorizes use by NCPI and our employees as disclosed in this Privacy Statement.
We want you to feel confident about using our Site. We implement a variety of physical, technical and administrative security measures to maintain the safety of your Personal Information. However, the security of information transmitted through the internet can never be guaranteed. We (like all websites) cannot warrant or guarantee 100% security of any information you transmit to us through the Site.
7. Managing “Do Not Track” Signals
Some browsers have a Do Not Track (“DNT”) feature that lets you tell websites that you do not want your online activities tracked. When you choose to turn on the DNT setting in your browser, your browser sends a special signal to websites, ad networks, plug-in providers, and other web services you encounter while browsing to stop tracking your activity via cookies or other tracking technologies.
8. Third Party Links
The Site may contain links to websites maintained by third parties with which we have no affiliation. This Statement does not reflect the privacy practices of those sites, and you should consult the privacy policies of those sites to learn about their practices. A link to any third party site does not mean that we endorse it or the quality or accuracy of information presented on it.
9. Changing or Deleting Personal Data
We strive to maintain the accuracy of Personal Information collected. You can update or delete your Personal Information by sending us an email at [email protected]. You can also contact us to find out what Personal Information we have on file about you. If you have any questions about the Personal Information we maintain about you or would like to exercise your right to delete or update that information, please contact us at [email protected].
10. Contacting Us
If you have questions or comments about this Statement, please contact us at [email protected].